The good news is that the hard part is done.
Once you have decided on a plan, you are now faced with the enrollment process. Let's walk through the health insurance enrollment process step by step so that you know what to expect.
The major carriers in California now offer both a hard copy of the health application and an online version.
The online application typically processes more quickly and we recommend this approach as long as it seems to be moving smoothly for you. The online apps are relatively new (last five years) so they can get stuck now and then.
There are considerable privacy requirements for insurance companies so we feel confident in their online systems to protect private health information.
Each carrier's application is slightly different but we'll go through some of the key sections. The online applications pretty much follow the same structure as the hard copy apps with some added clarifications on online signatures, etc.
1. General information. This is your basic information. You will have an option for a residence address (needs to be in the State) and a billing address in case someone else is paying for the policy.
2. Plan Selection. The carriers have needed to have two companies to roll new plans so go by the plan name. For example, Anthem Blue Cross's new plans are under their BC Life and Health banner.
3. Prior insurance.
This is important to the
carriers because it can
affect waiting periods for
pre-existing conditions. If
you have qualified coverage
that did not lapse prior to
the new plan, this can go
towards your waiting period.
It also affect your
potential options for HIPAA
guaranteed issue coverage if
you meet the requirements.
4. Signatures and Authorizations. You will need to sign the document (or e-sign) and complete a HIPAA authorization which allows them to request medical records if they wish to look deeper into a given health situation.
5. Billing Section. Depending on the carrier, you will probably be able to request a billing (monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly), monthly credit card deduction, or automatic checking account deduction.
7. California health Broker information. This section is for us and it allows us to help with both the enrollment process and future membership issues.
Since 2014, health insurance plans are no longer medically underwritten due to the ACA law. This means that health history is no longer used for ACA health plans.
In California, you have
a "10 day free look period"
from when you receive
notification of their
decision to decline the
offer with no payment
required. The plan is called
a "policy never effective".
You do not need to bind the
policy outside of paying the
premium. The ID card and
policy will typically arrive
in 5-7 business days.
Call us at 800-320-6269 with any questions. Our services are free to you as licensed health agents.
"My sincere thanks for making a miracle happen- 2014 health insurance !! Many thanks for your expertise and advice yesterday !!"
"Thanks again for your help - I had absolutely no idea how to get this done when I got up this morning. You've made it remarkably easier than I expected. I hope you're not stuck at the office all night..."
"Anyway, I hope you got some time off this past week! Thank you again for your help and efforts on my behalf! I was very lucky to find you."
"I thank you very much for the time that you have invested in handling everything
"I truly appreciate the quick response and will think of you in the future if I need to make any changes to my insurance plans."
"You are awesome... takes a huge worry off my back, thank you for your kind. thanks for your time and kindness. !!"
"Wow, I can't thank you guys enough for your help...I couldn't imagine trying to tackle this on my own!"
"You are my new best friend. A HUGE thank you again.
20 years of experience in the California health insurance market has taught us one thing...Competent and experienced guidance is Invaluable
We can quickly (very important) size up your health insurance needs and clearly explain the options available to you. Our focus is finding the most coverage at the best cost to you.
We are licensed Covered Ca agents with in-depth knowledge of their plans, process, and tax credits.
Call us...you will be Pleasantly Surprised. 800-320-6269
We'll quickly see if you have the best priced plan available and if you qualify for a tax credit800-320-6269
This website is owned and operated by Goodacre Insurance Services, which is solely responsible for its content. This site is not maintained by or associated with Covered California, and Covered California bears no responsibility for its content. The email address and phone numbers that appear throughout the site belong to Goodacre Insurance Services, and cannot be used to contact Covered California.